Major terror attacks against Arbaeen pilgrims
By: Ismail Zabeeh
HOLY CITY OF KARBALA, Iraq: Terror attacks against Husseini
mourners going to the holy city of Karbala for Arbaeen Al-Husseini
commemoration were in continuation. Arbaeen which comes every year on
Safar 20 falls this year on February 16 Monday.
Some of the deadliest attacks on pilgrims in Iraq since the 2003
• Feb. 13, 2009: A female bomber attacks a tent in Iskandiriya, south
of Baghdad, filled with women and children resting during Arbaeen
pilgrimage to Karbala, leaving more than 40 people martyred and
wounding 82 others.
• Feb. 12, 2009: A suicide bomber detonates an explosive belt packed
with nails among Arbaeen mourners in Karbala near the revered Imam
Hussein shrine, martyring eight mourners and wounding more than 50.
• Feb. 11, 2009: At least 12 people are martyred and more than 40
wounded in bombings in Baghdad targeting Arbaeen mourners traveling to
• Jan. 4, 2009: A suicide bomber dressed in women's clothing and
hiding among Iranian pilgrims martyrs more than three dozen people and
wounds at least 72 outside Kazimiyah shrine. It remains unclear
whether the bomber was in fact a woman.
• Aug. 14, 2008: A bomber strikes pilgrims in Iskandariyah, 30 miles
south of the capital, leaving at least 18 people martyred and wounding
• July 28, 2008: Female suicide bombers attack a pilgrimage in Baghdad
and a Kurdish protest rally in northern Iraq, martyring at least 57
people and wounding nearly 300.
• March 17, 2008: A bomber attacks a group of worshippers near
Husseini shrine in Karbala, martyring at least 49 people and wounding
• Feb. 24, 2008: A man wearing a suicide vest martyrs 56 when he
triggers the device in a crowd of travelers enjoying refreshments in a
tent near Iskandariyah, 30 miles south of Baghdad. At least 68 people
• March 6, 2007: Two suicide bombers blow themselves up in Hillah,
about 60 miles south of Baghdad, martyring 120 people in a crowd of
• July 6, 2006: A suicide car bombing martyrs 12 people, mostly
Iranian pilgrims, at Kufa mosque.
• Aug. 31, 2005: At least 1,000 pilgrims were martyred in a bridge
stampede caused when somebody claimed there was a suicide bomber in
their midst on the occasion of martyrdom anniversary of Al-Imam Al-Kadhim
(AS) in Kadhemiyah.
• March 2, 2004: A suicide bomber martyrs at least 85 people at the
Imam Hussein shrine in Karbala.
better than wealth because it protects you while you have to
guard wealth. it decreases if you keep on spending it but the
more you make use of knowledge ,the more it increases . what you
get through wealth disappears as soon as wealth disappears but
what you achieve through knowledge will remain even after you."MORE