|November 15, 2003||| ADVERTISE | ABOUT US | FEEDBACK ||
Laylatul Qadr: Merits and A`maal
By: Ali Ahmad
Laylatul Qadr is the best night among the nights of the whole year. No night, throughout the year, is on a level with this night. On account of its merits, surpassing excellence, superiority, and the superabundant bounties, benefits and favors this night bring for the mankind it leaves behind every night known for blessing.
As revealed in the Holy Quran the Night of “Qadr” is better than a thousand months, therefore, acts done in these nights are better than the acts done in one thousands months. In this night the “Spirit” together with one thousand Angels descend and that which has been decided is shown to the “Imam of Era (atf)”.
The common A'maal of the three nights (19th, 21st & 23rd of Ramadan) are: -
1. To take a bath. Allama Majlisi says, "It is better to take a bath before sunset so that the night prayers may be performed after bath".
2. To offer two Raqats of Namaz, in every Raqat recite Surat-al-Hamd, and Surat-al-Tauhid/ Surat Ikhlaas seven times, and after finishing the prayer 70 times recite: "Astagferullaah Rabbi Wa atoobo elaihe" i.e., "I seek pardon from God and ask for penitence from Him".
3. The Holy Qur'an should be opened and placed in front, then one should recite, "Alaahumma inni asaloka be kitaabekal munzale Wa maa feeh, wa feehismokal akbaro wa asmaakal husnaa, wa maa yokhaafo Wa yurjaa an taj-alani min otaqaaeka minan-Naar", i.e., "O Allah treat me as one of those who are free from Hell, in the name of this Holy Book sent by Thee, whatever there be in the Book. Including Ism-e-A'azam and Asmaa-e-Husnaa and the things to be dreaded, the things that may be expected and desired, like blessings of Jannat. Do forgive through the grace of this book". (SALAWAT-After this he may beg from Allah whatever he wants).
4. He should place the Holy Qur'an on his head and say, "Allaahumma be haqqe haazal Qur'an we be haqqe man arsaltahoo beh, Wa be haqqe kulle momenin madahtahoo feeh, we be haqqeka alaihim fa-laa ahada a'arafo be haqqeka mink", i.e., "O Allah! I appeal to Thee in the name of this Qur'an and the Rooh that was sent along with it, and in the name of the Momin (believer) whose praise is contained in this Book and Tine obligation that is on them. No one else recognizes the right and truth more than Thee". (SALAWAT-After this he should repeat 10 times each): -
BEKA YA ALLAH'HO (S.W.T.)
BE MOHAMMADIN (S.A.W.)
BE ALIYYIN (A.S.)
BE FATEMATA (A.S.)
BIL HASANE (A.S.)
BIL HUSAINE (A.S.)
BE ALIYIBNIL HUSAIN (A.S.)
BE MOHAMMED IBN ALIYYIN (A.S.)
BE JA'FAR IBN MOHAMMEDIN (A.S.)
BE MOOSABN JA'FAR (A.S.)
BE ALIYIBN MOOSA (A.S.)
BE MOHAMMED IBN ALIYYIN (A.S.)
BE ALIYIBN MOHAMMED (A.S.)
BIL HASAN IBN ALIYYIN (A.S.)
BIL HOJJAT (A.S.)
5. To recite the Ziarat of Imam Hussain (A.S.). According to Hadis, during Shab-e-Qadr an angel proclaims from the Arsh (Throne) on the Seventh sky, "Allah the Benevolent forgives him, whosoever performs the Ziarat of the grave of Imam-e-Hussain (A.S.)."
6. One should keep himself awake throughout these three nights. The vigil during these nights carries great Sawab (heavenly reward).
7. To offer 100 Raq'ats of Namaz. It has been highly recommended. It is better to recite (after Surat-al-Hamd) 10 times the Surat-al-Tauhid/ Surat Ikhlaas.
8. Recite: "Astagferullaah Rabbi Wa atoobo elaihe" 100 times (i.e., "I seek pardon from God and ask for penitence from Him").
9.Seek forgiveness & Recite Dua Kumail http://www.duas.org/kumayl.htm & Dua Tawba http://www.duas.org/sajjadiya/s31.htm & the 15 whispered prayers http://www.duas.org/sajjadiya/sajjadiya.htm#15 from Sahifa Sajjadia
11.Recite Dua Nudba http://www.duas.org/nudba.htm & Remember Imam e zamana (atfs) much throughout the night
On 19th and 21st night: recite "Allaahummal'an qatalata Ameeril Momeneen" 100 times (i.e., "O Allah! Thy malison upon the assassin of Ameerul Moineneen Ali ibne Abi Talib").
On 23rd night: Recite the following Surah from the Holy Qur'an: Ankabut (the Spider) 29th Sura, Room (The Roman Empire) 30th Sura, Dukhan (Smoke or Mist) 44th Sura. Recite 1,000 times surat Al-Qadr.