Maxims of Imam Al-Baqir (AS)
By: Ridha Al-Hussein
Short wonderful maxims, full of noble morals, were reported on the
authority of Imam Abu` Ja'far Muhammad Al-Baqir, peace be on him, who
was born on Rajab 1. The following are some of them:
1. "If you can deal with anyone and do him a favor, do that."
2. "Flatter the hypocrite with your tongue. Make your love sincere to
the believer. When a Jew associates with you, associate well with him.
3. "Nothing is mixed with a thing better than (mixing) clemency with
4. "Assume the truth. Leave that which does not concern you. Avoid
your enemy. Be careful of your friends except the trusty one who fears
Allah. Do not make friends with the sinner. Do not inform him of your
secrets. Ask the advice of those who fear Allah.
5. "The friendship of twenty years is kinship.
6. "The decree of Allah is good for the believer.
7. "He for whom Allah does not make a preacher from his own self, the
preaching of people do not avail him."
8. "He whose outward (deeds) are heavier than his inward (deeds), his
scales are light.
9. "How many a person meets a person and says to him: may Allah ruin
your enemy, and he has no enemy except Allah.
10. "He who disobeys Allah does not recognize Him."
11. "The need with the one who has recently gotten property is like
the dirham in the mouth of the snake. You need him, and you are in
12. "Know the love in the heart of your brother through what he has in
13. "Faith is love and hatred."
14. "Four (acts) are among the treasures of kindness: Concealing the
need, concealing the alms, concealing the pain, and concealing, the
15. "He whose tongue is truthful, his acts grow. He whose intention is
good, his daily-bread increases. He whose kindness to his family is
good, Allah prolongs his life.
16. "Humbleness is that you should be satisfied with the humble
sitting-place, that you should greet whomever you meet, and that you
should leave the dispute even if you are right."
better than wealth because it protects you while you have to
guard wealth. it decreases if you keep on spending it but the
more you make use of knowledge ,the more it increases . what you
get through wealth disappears as soon as wealth disappears but
what you achieve through knowledge will remain even after you."MORE